Two persons were killed and several others feared trapped after an under-construction building collapsed in Dharwad in north Karnataka on Tuesday, police said.
MN Nagarj, commissioner of police, Dharwad, which is located about 450 km from the state capital, said the rescue operations were on and that he could not confirm how many people were still trapped under the debris.
“So far two persons have been confirmed dead. We have deployed three cranes and four earth movers …,” he said, adding that the identities of the deceased had not yet been established.
Karnataka chief minister H.D. Kumaraswamy expressed “shock” over the incident. He said he had advised the chief secretary of the state to ensure that experts were flown in to Dharwad to help in rescue efforts.
“Shocked to learn about the collapse of an under-construction building in Dharwad. I have instructed the chief secretary to supervise rescue operations. I have also directed the CS to send additional resources and expert rescuers by a special flight to Dharwad,” Kumaraswamy tweeted.
Meanwhile, former minister and Congress leader Vinay Kulkarni confirmed that the building belonged to one of his relatives. “There are around eight partners, one of whom is a relative of mine,” he said. “It’s a big tragedy and no matter whose mistake it was action should be taken.”
Rescuers have pulled out 28 people from the rubble, police said, adding, the injured have been hospitalised.
As many as 10 ambulances and five fire tenders were deployed to carry out relief and rescue operations.
Residents said there were several shops on the ground floor and many people often used to visit there. Most of those trapped were migrant labourers from North India.
(with agency inputs)
Mar 19, 2019 17:16 IST
2 dead, many feared trapped after under-construction building collapses in Karnataka’s Dharwad – Hindustan Times