Four years after releasing the iPhone SE, Apple is reportedly once again looking to offer a more affordable iPhone — possibly called theor . The device is rumored to launch in March, but the deadly outbreak could delay those plans.
Mass production of the new low-cost iPhone was supposed to start by the end of this month but may be delayed until sometime in March, according to a report Tuesday from Nikkei Asian Review. A separate report from Bloomberg said the low-cost iPhone is still on track, but noted that Apple’s plans are “fluid.”
The reports follow athat it likely will miss the quarterly revenue guidance it gave last month. The iPhone maker cited two reasons for the update: The coronavirus is hurting both demand from Chinese customers and .
A pneumonia-like disease, the new coronavirus was discovered in the Chinese city of Wuhan in December. The strain has now infected nearly 73,000 people and claimed more than 1,800 lives. Apple, which has suppliers in the Wuhan area, said last month that the coronavirus could impact its operations.
Apple’s iPhone 9 (or SE 2) has previously been rumored to be unveiled in. Reports have suggested the new iPhone will look similar to the iPhone 8, including having a home button with Touch ID, a 4.7-inch LCD screen and an A13 Bionic chip. (That last bit is from the iPhone 11.)
Apple didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment.