There are basically 3 relatively simple methods in which you can erase everything and restart your iPhone from the factory. Make a backup of your data and follow one of these below.
The reset or restart an iPhone, as well as return to its factory settings, is equivalent to format the device. In effect, all the contents of the phone are deleted, remaining as when it was taken out of the box (at least in terms of software). This is useful if you are having performance problems, think about selling it or passing it on to someone else. And here we will see the different ways in which you can restore an iPhone, which also applies to iPad.
Restore an iPhone or other iOS devices to factory settings is essential if you need to delete all the data from it, either because you plan to sell or you will give it to someone else. If you intend to sell the device, it is vital that you delete all sensitive information stored in it. If you do not, the recipient could use that information for anything. A factory reset can also help solve problems with your device if it is running down or has a problem that you can not identify.
Restore a factory iPhone
The process of resetting an iPhone from the factory is relatively easy, but there are some precautions you should take before carrying it out. Below I will show you 3 methods to do it, but first, let’s see the reasons to restore your iOS device and what to do to safeguard your information.
There are several possible reasons why you may want to restore, among which we can include:
- To repair your iPhone that no longer works as before.
- To remove a virus that has entered your phone.
- Delete all the data and return it to its default configuration before selling it or giving it away.
- Start again, freeing space after the storage of the device has been filled.
First of all, back up your information
You already know that when carrying out this process your iPhone will be completely erased, so making a backup in advance is very important to not lose your data. Before deleting and resetting the device, make sure you make a backup with all your important information. Next, I will show you how to do it:
- To support your information you can use iCloud or iTunes.
- In iCloud go to Settings > iCloud > Backup in iCloud, making sure that this option is enabled. You can see when the last backup was made under the Perform backup now option. If you still do not have any backups, you can click Perform backup now and follow the instructions.
- To make the backup in iTunes you must connect the device to the PC or the Mac using the charging cable. Then click on the iPhone or iPad icon in the upper right corner of the iTunes screen, below the Play button. Next, you must follow the program assistant.
Now being sure that you will not lose anything important, having made the backup, you can now restore your iPhone to factory settings. To do so, follow one of the methods below.
Method 1: Restore the factory iPhone in Settings
You can reset to factory settings directly from the Device Settings in this way:
- Go to Settings > General > Reset, and select Delete content and settings.
- The system will ask you to enter your iPhone PIN (if you have one configured). After entering it, a warning box will appear with the option Delete the iPhone (or iPad), which you must press.
- Next, you will need to enter the password of your Apple ID to confirm the action. Then, everything in the storage will be erased and you will return to the initial configuration screen of the device.
Method 2: Restart the iPhone from iTunes
You can also reset your iPhone or iPad using iTunes. Make sure you have the latest version of the program installed and follow these steps:
- First, turn off Find my iPhone. Go to Settings > [your name] > iCloud > Find my iPhone . Here you must disable the Search my iPhone and Send last location check boxes.
- Now run iTunes on your PC or Mac and connect the iPhone via cable. Possibly ask for the password or the option ” Trust this computer “.
- Select the device and go to Summary > Restore iPhone.
- You must confirm the process by clicking on the Restore button.
- iTunes will reset your iPhone to its factory settings and install the latest version of iOS.
Method 3: Format the iPhone using iCloud
Another way is to format an iPhone completely remotely with iCloud, which is very useful if your phone has been stolen or lost. It is the last resort to prevent your data from being compromised.
We know that the Find my iPhone function allows you to find any of your Apple products using the iCloud account linked to them. But in addition to the possibility of recovering it, this feature also provides other functions. One of them is the possibility to delete all the contents of the iPhone and remotely reset it from the factory.
Obviously, for this method to work, you must have activated the Search my iPhone option in advance. To enable it to go to Settings > iCloud > Find my iPhone. You can do the iPhone restart in this way:
- Go to the iCloud.com site and log in with your Apple ID.
- Now go to Find my iPhone > All devices.
- Choose the device in question (if you have lost it or it was stolen), and 3 options will appear: Play sound, Lost mode and Delete iPhone.
- Select Delete iPhone to restart your device at the factory.
As we have seen, there are several methods to erase everything on your iOS device and return it to its original configuration. Be it through the Configuration of the same, using iTunes or with iCloud, the procedure is simple. I hope that the information in this brief guide has been useful for you. Do not forget to share your experience or any suggestion in the comments section.