During a hurricane, your smartphone is an important tool for staying safe and informed. There are dozens of useful apps that can help you manage the deluge of information while you weather the storm. These are a few of the most useful:
FEMA mobile app
The Federal Emergency Management Agency’s official mobile app includes information on storm prep, shelters and Disaster Recovery Centers in your area. You can even apply for disaster assistance directly in the app.
- Emergency alerts for up to five U.S. locations
- Share notifications with family and friends via text, email and social media
- Disaster preparedness tips and checklists
- Connect with FEMA to apply for assistance or speak to a representative
- Find open shelters in your area
- Find Disaster Recovery centers in your area
More: How to get the most our of your phone in a hurricane
Hurricane by the American Red Cross
The Red Cross’ hurricane app lets you receive emergency weather alerts based on your location and the locations of your loved ones. It also provides tips and information on what to do before, during and after a hurricane.
- Receive emergency alerts for multiple locations, if even you aren’t there
- Track hazards on a live map
- Useful information for hurricane preparedness and recovery
A NOAA video shows the menacing eye of Hurricane Dorian.
GasBuddy uses crowdsourced information to provide real-time updates on which gas stations are out of gas, which ones have long lines, and where the cheapest gas is.
- Find stations with available fuel near you
- Find the cheapest gas in your area
- Filter results to find gas stations with the amenities you need
Florida 511 mobile app
Florida 511’s official app gives you access to FL511 Advanced Traveler System on the go. Get up-to-date traffic information, including road closures, evacuation routes and traffic conditions statewide.
- Destination-based routing gives multiple routes based on traffic conditions
- Drive mode includes detailed information on traffic incidents and delays
- Voice input for hands-free navigation
More: Weather Channel star: Hurricane Dorian may be a stronger, slower version of Matthew
Windy weather radar and forecast
This highly-rated weather app provides live storm tracking, with a detailed map that shows actual weather conditions on the ground.
- Weather visualizations from the leading forecast models
- 40 different map layers let you customize what information you see
- Satellite and doppler radar available for many locations
- 100% free with no ads
USA TODAY NETWORK-FLORIDA local news apps
Get real-time local news alerts and notifications during a hurricane with your local news app from the USA TODAY NETWORK-FLORIDA. The app includes information specific to your community and important statewide updates.
- Access to all hurricane news in your local area
- Alerts to instantly let you know when news breaks
- Photos, video, galleries and more
- Free, paywall suspended during hurricanes
FLORIDA TODAY: iPhone | Android
Fort Myers News-Press: iPhone | Android
Naples Daily News: iPhone | Android
TCPalm: iPhone | Android
Read or Share this story: https://www.floridatoday.com/story/weather/hurricanes/2019/08/31/hurricane-dorian-handy-mobile-apps-keep-you-informed-during-storm/2177902001/