Home / Mobile / Mobile number portability scheme to start on July 2 – INQUIRER.net

Mobile number portability scheme to start on July 2 – INQUIRER.net

Starting next month, telco subscribers will be allowed to keep their current mobile numbers even when switching between PLDT Inc. and Globe Telecom and the eventual third mobile player backed by China Telecom.

The National Telecommunications Commission (NTC) issued on June 11 this year its rules for the Mobile Number Portability Act, or Republic Act No. 11202, whose goal is to promote competition in the telecommunication industry. The NTC said on Tuesday the rules would become effective on July 2.

The guidelines outlined how the telco players would implement the law, which included a contentious provision that removed all interconnection fees for local calls and text messaging.

The law also allowed subscribers to keep their numbers when switching between prepaid and postpaid plans from the same telco. The NTC said no fees and charges would be collected from subscribers.

The NTC said number portability applications should be processed within 48 hours. Processing time for those switching between postpaid and prepaid plans from the same telco would take no more than 24 hours.

PLDT spokesperson Ramon Isberto said the telco supported mobile number portability but questioned the removal of interconnection fees.

“We have expressed our reservations, on constitutional grounds, regarding the rider provision in the law, which removes the interconnection fees between operators,” Isberto said. It was unclear if the company would take further action.

“At this point, we are just registering our reservation,” he said.

Number portability schemes had been proposed in previous years, however, the hanging concern was how it would be implemented and who would foot the bill.

For RA 11202, the NTC said the telcos would need to select a mobile number portability service provider, the entity that will provide the porting services. The company will maintain an electronic database, which will include a subscriber’s porting history without the individual’s personal information.

Under the rules, the telcos will share in the costs for software and hardware needs of the number portability service provider. They should also agree on operating and maintenance expenses.

The NTC said not all subscribers could avail themselves of number portability. Restrictions cover those with outstanding debts, locked devices or those seeking to again switch less than 60 days after a ported number has been activated. Also restricted are subscribers blacklisted due to fraudulent activities.

Number portability is being implemented in the Philippines as a growing number of subscribers shift to internet-based messaging platforms, some of which do not require mobile numbers.

Read Next

LATEST STORIES

MOST READ

Don’t miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.

Source link

Check Also

Huawei doesn't want to replace Android, just Google Mobile Services – GSMArena.com news – GSMArena.com

Back when Huawei introduced its HarmonyOS operating system, speculations quickly arose that future phones will …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *