Three freeways will shut down this weekend, June 28 – July 1, for improvement projects, according to the Arizona Department of Transportation. Expect delays on I-10, Loop 101 and I-17.
- Westbound Interstate 10 closed between 51st and 67th avenues in west Phoenix from 10 p.m. Friday to 5 p.m. Sunday (June 30) for construction at the Loop 202 South Mountain Freeway interchange. Westbound I-10 on-ramps at 27th, 35th and 43rd avenues will be closed.
- DETOUR: Alternate routes include westbound and southbound Loop 101 in the West Valley. Traffic exiting at 51st Avenue can detour along the westbound I-10 access road or use McDowell Road to travel beyond the closure. Expect heavy delays near the work zone.
- Eastbound Loop 101 (Pima Freeway) closed between State Route 51 and 56th Street in northeast Phoenix from 10 p.m. Friday to 5 a.m. Monday (July 1) for work zone setup as part of a widening project.
- Eastbound Loop 101 on-ramps at Cave Creek Road and Tatum Boulevard will be closed, as will the northbound SR 51 ramps to eastbound Loop 101 and the northbound SR 51 on-ramp at Union Hills Drive. The northbound SR 51 ramp to westbound Loop 101 will be open. Expect heavy eastbound Loop 101 traffic approaching SR 51.
- DETOUR: Alternate routes include exiting eastbound Loop 101 to southbound Cave Creek Road and taking Bell Road east beyond the closure.
- Northbound Interstate 17 closed at Happy Valley Road from 10 p.m. Saturday to 9 a.m. Sunday(June 30) for bridge girder installation. Please allow extra travel time.
- DETOUR: Northbound I-17 traffic will detour along the ramps and roundabout at Happy Valley Road. Alternate routes include exiting I-17 to eastbound Pinnacle Peak Road and taking 19th Avenue north to westbound Jomax Road.
- US 60 (Superstition Freeway) narrowed to three lanes in each direction (left lanes closed) in areas between Interstate 10 and Mill Avenue in Tempe from 9 p.m. Friday to 10 p.m. Sunday (June 30) for barrier wall repairs.
- Westbound US 60 ramp to eastbound I-10 (toward Tucson) will be closed, as will the westbound US 60 HOV ramp to westbound I-10. Please allow extra travel time. DETOUR: Westbound US 60 drivers can connect to eastbound I-10 by exiting to southbound Mill Avenue or southbound Priest Drive and using westbound Baseline Road.
- Seventh Street closed in both directions at Loop 101 in north Phoenix from 10 p.m. Friday to 5 a.m. Monday (July 1) as part of the Loop 101 widening project. Both Loop 101 off-ramps will remain open, but traffic will be limited to right turns (no traffic under freeway bridge).
- DETOUR: Alternate routes include Seventh Avenue. Expect heavier traffic at times due to the nearby eastbound Loop 101 closure between State Route 51 and 56th Street.
- Southbound Loop 101 right lane closed in areas between US 60 (Superstition Freeway) and Elliot Road from 10 p.m. Friday to 5 a.m. Monday (July 1) for a widening project. Southbound Loop 101 on- and off-ramps in areas will be closed at times.
- DETOUR: Please allow extra travel time, use caution in work zones and plan on using ramps at nearby interchanges.
Have a safe and wonderful weekend!
Weekend Travel Alert (June 28 – July 1): Expect delays as construction creates three closures – ABC15 Arizona