A neighbor said he braved searing heat and smoke this morning to rescue a woman and two dogs from a mobile home that burned along with two other residences at a Pasadena mobile home park.
Pasadena and Deer Park firefighters responding in at least 10 fire trucks had the intense fire, which started in the late morning and shot flames about 30 feet high, under control by 12:40 p.m. at Park View Mobile Home Park, 2600 Wichita St.
Information was unavailable regarding if residents were in the homes when the fire started or if any injuries occurred.
“We believe we have everyone accounted for,” said David Brannon, chief fire marshal for the city of Pasadena.
Michael Salas, 42, who lives a couple of doors down from one of the homes, said he was on his porch when he heard a woman screaming and then saw her running into the burning structure.
“Smoke was already this high in the house,” Salas said lifting his hand chest-high. “It was pitch black in there.”
LA PORTE: At least 20 apartments damaged in fire
He said he dragged the woman out but had to return into the home to get her out again when she ran back inside. More information about the woman was unavailable.
Salas said he rescued one dog tied to the patio of the home despite the dog’s chain being so hot he could barely hold it. Then he saved another dog he found beneath a tarp as flames shot through the windows and glass was shattering in the home.
The roof eventually collapsed. The dogs appeared to be OK following their rescue.
The fire, which was reported at 11:22 a.m., is believed to have been caused by a space heater, Brannon said.
The blaze, which gave off an intense heat that could be felt across the street from the burning homes, also destroyed onevehicle and damaged another.